[Fwd: Severn kernel on Red Hat 9]

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Thu Aug 14 03:42:54 UTC 2003

Bill Nottingham wrote:

> You need to upgrade X to deal with some of the exec shield stuff.

Thanks!  I had forgotten Exec-shield.

Instead of upgrading X I just put "kernel.exec-shield = 0" in
/etc/sysctl.conf.  Seems to work.

I checked, and I couldn't find any indication in /var/log/messages or
/var/log/secure that it was Exec-shield that was causing X to crash.
I'm not sure how much software out there will have this problem, but I
can imagine quite a rash of frustrated users and bug reports when
Cambridge goes GA.  (CCing rhl-beta-list for this reason.)

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net