RH Decisions (was Re: APT, Yum and Red Carpet)

Rik van Riel riel at redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 12:37:07 UTC 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Maynard Kuona wrote:

> If that is what you were asking. Redhat 'has' to protect its name and
> trademarks, otherwise it will end up with cheap knockoffs.

Note that the obligation to protect the trademark does
not translate in an obligation to make it hard for others
to use, distribute and/or sell the distribution.

I am optimistic that the business people will keep the
legally required paperwork as simple as possible so LUGs,
magazines, etc... can easily distribute the distribution.
Maybe they can even get rid of the paperwork alltogether
for some cases, maybe they already did ...

	*searches around on website*

OK, it looks like the legal people are at least one step
ahead of the mailing list here:

http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/guidelines/page9.html

   "If you are an educational institution, a not-for-profit organization,
    a user group, or an individual affiliated with or employed by any of
    those organizations, Red Hat grants you a trademark license with respect
    to the RED HAT mark for use with the non-commercial redistribution of
    Red Hat® Linux® in the form you [originally got it]"

I snipped the fine print. Read the page yourself if you plan
on distributing Red Hat Linux, etc...