What's wrong with disucssing BUGS in Severn? (was Re: RH Decisions (was Re: APT, Yum and Red Carpet)

Bill Anderson bill at noreboots.com
Thu Aug 14 21:29:40 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 10:12, Elton Woo wrote:
> On August 14, 2003 11:55 am, Rik van Riel <riel at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > > What stops subscribers from beating such topics to death without
> > > anyone from Red Hat taking part?
> >
> > Nobody.  However, in those cases Red Hat employees will
> > probably be limited to chuckling politely and won't be
> > participating in the thread.
> >
> > Probably best for productivity, too ;)
>
> Yes, and hopefully members on this list will turn their attention to dicussing
> and tracking BUGS. After all, isn't this the MAIN PURPOSE of the
> "rhl-beta list".

Not from what I see on the site. It is my understanding that the beta
list is for testers of the betas. That scope, IMO, includes more than
bugs. Particularly in an environment where the absolute final decisions
about what will be in the next beta/release has not been made and we are
here to contribute to that process. That includes far more than "mere"
bug reports.

Regarding the subject line, nobody is proposing or arguing AGAINST
discussing bugs here, that I know of.

> Instead, I see long-winded (*possibly*) academic discussions which proport
> to second-quess Red Hat's marketing and political decisions ... leadint to
> NOTHING productive, WRT improving the product that is now being tested:
> to wit, Red Hat SEVERN Beta (RH 9.0.93).

Note, however, this list appears to be a generic "beta" list, not a
"Severn" list. ;^) Looking at the list of lists @ redhat I see that some
betas did indeed have specific lists for them, such as Roswell and
Taroon. The entry for this list merely lists as: "For testers of Red Hat
Linux beta releases" (note the plural).

Just as the Shrike list is not there for the sole purpose of tracking
bugs on Shrike, nor do *I* see this list as existing for the sole
purpose of tracking severn bugs.

If all you are interested in is bugs, fine (is that not what bugzilla is
used for, though?). But many of us are clearly here for more than just
bugs. Features, configuration changes, package availability, and testing
other aspects of RHL betas are, IMO, on topic as well.

Top Posting.

What really sucks and is annoying?

--
Bill Anderson