RH Decisions (was Re: APT, Yum and Red Carpet)

Rik van Riel riel at redhat.com
Fri Aug 15 01:47:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

> I will clearly say that there is not a Red Hat policy to try to move
> most of the distro out into external repositories; that's been mentioned
> in several threads on these lists before.  We have explicitly stated
> that our expectation starting this process was that the distro is more
> likely to grow than to shrink by this process.

For the confused onlookers, get used to the fact that Red
Hat employees have different opinions on different stuff.
Now the externally visible discussions will no longer be
limited to software development, but it'll also happen in
on topics such as the distribution and updating ;)

Of course in this case the people who do the work will
automagically win any argument.  If people want to grow
the distribution I am certainly not going to stop them;
I like having more stuff as much as the next guy ;)