Applications slow to start up

Gregory Boyce gboyce at badbelly.com
Sun Aug 17 14:00:46 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 07:28, Matthew Winter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For about the past 3-4 days, all applications started within Gnome, such
> as Ximian Evolution, Mozilla etc seem to take about 15 - 20 seconds to
> launch. This was not the case when I first installed the RHL beta. In
> fact I thought the application startup was far faster than RHL 9 was.
>
> What could cause such a slow down?
>
> I have not installed any applications in the past 2 weeks, as most of
> what I require is present in the base installation.
>
> Any assistance on this would be most grateful.
>
> Regards
> Matthew Winter

If you haven't already, I would suggest running top to see if anything
is chewing up CPU cycles.  Pressing "M" will sort by memory usage, and
you can check if something is hogging memory as well.

Of course, this is only a possible cause if your machine has been
running for those 3-4 days.

--
Gregory Boyce <gboyce at badbelly.com>