2 batteries in laptop + acpi

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Mon Aug 18 07:37:29 UTC 2003

I have severn running on a dell i8100.

ACPI seems to be registering most events and also reporting
some events correctly. I was surprised the battery applet on the
panel reported battery status quite accurately.

Also /proc/acpi/battery has entries for BAT0 and BAT1 and
/proc/acpi/battery/BATx/state and /proc/acpi/battery/BATx/info, x=0,1,
seem to be reporting events correctly when 2 batteries are inserted.
(but the battery applet does not register the second battery!).

However acpi does not seem to be capable of handling 2 batteries.
When one battery is depleted the laptop abruptly aborts and does
not switch to using the second battery.

I this a known shortcoming (bug?) or is there some way of configuring
the system to use the second battery when the first is empty.

Should I bugzilla this?

Alexander