Add an extended partition with disk druid

Marco Ermini markoer at usa.net
Mon Aug 18 16:37:54 UTC 2003

Leonard den Ottolander disse:
> Hi Marco,
>
>> it makes no sense to use an extended partition, if you
>> have a spare primary one.
>
>  It does if you want to reserve space for other OSes that need a primary
> partition. So I'll use fdisk for this.
[...]

But why did you not want to use Disk Druid to do this? :-)

I still cannot get the sense of what you want to do. For instance, let's
say you want to create 3 primary partitions and 2 extended partitions
(result = 4 partition, 2 primary and one as a mere container for the 2
extended - notice that you may lose disk space in this way, because the
extended partitions may not fit exactly in the primary partition used as a
container); ok, you cannot do it with disk druid, and you can do it with
fdisk, but why you would need to do it, when you could create 4 primary
partitions and save disk space? :-)

Remember that with Disk Druid you are not obligated to use all the
partitions you create, you may choose not to format all the primary
partitions you don't want to use with RedHat Linux, and use it later for,
let's say, FreeBSD (which exclusively wants a primary partition in which
to create his own "slices").

bye
--
Marco Ermini