upgrading from rhl 9 -> very slow system?

Mon Aug 18 15:37:24 UTC 2003

Hi,

Perhaps this should be files in bugzilla too, but has anyone seen this:

I upgraded a machine from a stock RHL9 install to Severn, and it was
-very- slow to start up, log in, etc.  I checked TOP, and there was no
heavy processor usage, so maybe it was a disk bound slowness?

I then installed Severn on the same machine again, this time obliterating
the old install, and it worked fine. (much faster).

(this was on a Dell desktop).

Possibly a related problem:
I had a dell laptop with Severn that also was being extremely slow, but
when I took out the Wireless PCMCIA card, it sped right up.  All I can
figure was that some part of gnome (or something?) was waiting for DHCP to
finish or something like that?

 -- noah silva