Severn Beta2

Mon Aug 18 16:03:09 UTC 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Monday 18 August 2003 08:42, Noah Silva [Mailing list] wrote:
> > but I would think, for example:
> > RHL9 ships gnome-thinger-0.6.1
> > RHL9 Eratta ships gnome-thinger-0.6.2
> > XD2 ships gnome-thinger-0.7.9
> > RHL Severn ships gnome-thinger 0.8.2
> >

> The problem with this example, how can Red Hat be assured that Ximian's
> gnome-thinger package puts all the files in the correct places,

I would think this can be solved by LSB.

> and
> works with the rest of the gnome packages that Red Hat includes.

This I would think is just a matter of testing.  f.e. if RHL10 has
some packages still older than XD2, and the newer XD2 packages are left,
they might or might not work with other RHL packages that depend on them.

I suspect that as Gnome Matures, this will become less of a problem.

> They
> can't assure this, so they can't assume that it'll work, or users will
> end up w/ broken setups and be quite pissed.

This is true!

 -- noah silva