Stock kernels

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl1 at iadonisi.to
Tue Aug 19 06:11:21 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 01:59, Maynard Kuona wrote:
> But is it the latest available, or do they more or less mirror their own
> kernel.

  Well it's usually pretty current when it's released.  And the tarball
in the kernel src.rpm is a pristine one.  Do an md5sum on it to verify
and you'll see that it is.

> Is this going to be done with 2.6 in RH10/RHX. f the kernel has shipped
> and they haven't tested it yet, I would really love it if they gave us
> the stock 2.6 before they make any changes.

  Although the kernel src.rpm is *quite* complex, it's not too difficult
to unravel, plop in a pristine kernel tarball of your choice and pre,
rc, ac or whatever patches (provided they don't conflict) and strip out
all other patches.  I'd recommending leaving the nonint
(non-interactive) patch so that the build fails (relatively quickly) if
any options are not set in your config file and a list is kindly echoed
of options that need to be set to n, m, or y.
  Building the kernel from Red Hat's rpms is a art form of sorts.  I've
done it many times and would be glad to provide assistance with the
process I use to customize it.
  Or, if there's enough interest, I'll see about making rpm sets (or
just src.rpms without the nonint patch to allow anyone to build his own,
custom configured kernel during rpm build) and make them available
somewhere.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator