Stock kernels

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 20:47:54 UTC 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 03:12:06PM -0500, dsavage at peaknet.net wrote:
> I definitely second the motion. If only 'make rpm' worked.

Hmm, I've run it a few times.  Mostly I just run Red Hat official
kernels.  No surprise there.  :-)

> I've been trying since 2.5.62 with no luck.

Oh, I've only tried it with 2.4.x kernels.

> I upgraded three key Shrike
> rpms as recommended, yet every compile attempt aborts with a fatal error
> during the 'make modules' subtask. Whenever I change the errant module
> from "M" to "N" in .config and start over, the failure occurs somewhere
> else.

Oh, that just sounds like normal 2.5 some-modules-are-broken stuff.

> True frustration arrived when I found that 'make rpm' behaves as badly
> when run against the Severn kernel-source rpm as it does using a
> kernel.org tarball. Fewer "deprecated" warnings, but still.....

Well, it's going to depend on your config...

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/