up2date from rawhide

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at columbus.rr.com
Wed Aug 20 01:13:24 UTC 2003

The way that I did it was to add the following entry to my
/etc/sysconfig/sources file.

If you place this file in your directory. You will be able to retrieve
files from the servers.

Note: you will have to have installed apt-get and yum for this to work.

The problem that I had was that the file sizes did not show for the duke
university rpms. It sucessfully retrieved all of the files and installed
all of the programs.

I did have a conflict with two programs that were mentioned earlier. But
they now install properly and the latest rawhide build is pretty darn
impressive. It was a breeze to upgrade the programs like XFree86 and the
other associated programs. The new XFRee86 programs seem to be a lot
quicker also.

I had a problem with updating the kernel. I am not sure if the kernel is
installed or upgraded. But with the error message, it must try to
Upgrade al packages from the repositories. If I Installed the kernel
through rpm. It would install and leave the latest 2.4.x kernel. THe
test3 kernel did not recognize my mice (USB from belkin and the synaptic
builtin touchpad with scrollbar.) Both mice work with the 2.4.x kernel,
so I'm sticking with it.

Good luck! I hope it works for you. But like always. If the advice is
free. The results could be catastrophic.

Later,

Jim

Thiago Vinhas de Moraes wrote:
> Hi.
>
> How can I automatically update the packages from Severn using the up2date
> tool? I saw somewhere that it´s possible, but have no idea of what to do to
> have this done.
>
> Regards,
> Thiago
>

> --

The Second Law of Thermodynamics:
	If you think things are in a mess now, just wait!
		-- Jim Warner