unable to reboot or shutdown from the Gnome desktop.

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 01:48:14 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 12:44, Elton Woo wrote:
> Whenever I select shutdown or reboot from the Gnome desktop,
> I only get logged out of the desktop, and _then_ I have to select
> "reboot" or "shutdown" from the gdm. Has anyone else noticed this?
> Is there or should there be a bug filed for this?
>
> Elton.

I did a lot of playing with disabling of the Reboot/Shutdown options in
both the console and gui (for non-root users) today, admittedly on Red
Hat Enterprise Linux AS (v2.1). I found that you would see the options
in the logout window if the file /usr/bin/poweroff exists, but it may
not be able to actually work unless consolehelper is working for the
user. See if you own the console (/dev/console) and make sure the halt,
reboot, and poweroff files (0 length) exist in
/etc/security/console.apps/

Wish you luck.

--
Chris Kloiber