unable to reboot or shutdown from the Gnome desktop.

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Wed Aug 20 04:29:37 UTC 2003

On August 19, 2003 09:48 pm, Chris Kloiber <ckloiber at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 12:44, Elton Woo wrote:
> > Whenever I select shutdown or reboot from the Gnome desktop,
> > I only get logged out of the desktop, and _then_ I have to select
> > "reboot" or "shutdown" from the gdm. Has anyone else noticed this?
> > Is there or should there be a bug filed for this?
> >
> > Elton.
>
> I did a lot of playing with disabling of the Reboot/Shutdown options in
> both the console and gui (for non-root users) today, admittedly on Red
> Hat Enterprise Linux AS (v2.1). I found that you would see the options
>From _within the desktop_ (as user) I have the following options from the
menu: logout / shutdown / restart the machine. I should have mentioned
that I didn't try these commands from a console.

Usually, I would select them from the gui menu. However, I simply get
booted out the desktop to the gdm, _from whence_ I can then select
shutdown/ reboot.

> in the logout window if the file /usr/bin/poweroff exists, but it may
The file exits.

> not be able to actually work unless consolehelper is working for the
> user. See if you own the console (/dev/console) and make sure the halt,
In Nautilus Properties of /dev/console show File owner: elton, Group: root
(600)
> reboot, and poweroff files (0 length) exist in
> /etc/security/console.apps/
The three files are there, but instead of 0 length they have identical
content: FALLBACK=true, and are 14k each (halt, reboot, poweroff).

so... *Is* it a permissions problem?

Elton