Files get corrupted :(

Martin rhl at red-raider.de
Wed Aug 20 08:29:28 UTC 2003

Hi *!*@*.*,

I have a very strange problem with my Severn machine:
A few days ago I moved 9 rar archives (6 Gigs) from my Win XP to my
Severn machine using Samba. Yesterday I wanted to unpack the archives
and had to find out that they all were corrupted.

I found out that files get corrupted when they are written to the
severn machine. I calculate the md5sum of a file on the XP machine and
copy it to the Severn machine (I used Samba and FTP with the same
result) and calculate md5 again which is always different. I managed
to copy a 10 MB file without any problems but a 20 MB file gets
corrupted.

If I copy the corrupted file back to the XP machine and
calculate the md5sum again I get the same hash as on the linux box
which means that reading files works fine.
I copied a 230 MB file from XP to Linux and back and compared the
original and corrupted file. There were 9 differences in the file
consisting of 4 to 20 bytes of different data.

To find out if my file systems were corrupted I booted "linux rescue"
from the Severn CDs and ran "fsck.ext3 -f /dev/hda1" hda2 and hdc1. No
problems were reported there. It doesn't matter if I copy the files to
hda or hdc they get corrupted on both drives and I don't think its a
heat problem since files get corrupted after the system has been down
for 10 hours and has been running again for 5 minutes.

Since there is no newer kernel the 2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.ntpl that
ships with Severn install discs on rawhide I thought I'll give arjan's
kernel-2.6.0-0.test3.1.31.athlon.rpm a try. Same problem -Y files get
corrupted :(

I'm pretty sure that I didn't have these problems with RH 9.0. Maybe
I'm going to install it again later today to find out if its working
under 9.0.

If anyone has an idea what could cause this please let me know.

Cheers,

Martin