Stock kernels

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Wed Aug 20 20:49:57 UTC 2003

On Wednesday August 20, 2003, Jack Aboutboul <jaboutboul at speakeasy.net>
wrote:
> On Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003, at 01:06 Asia/Jerusalem, Mike A. Harris
> wrote:
>> I'll download it and run it through rpm as described above.
>>
> And thus began Mike Harris' kernel hacking days!
>
> Seriously though, it's never been a problem to download the kernel
> .src.rpm and just build the rpm. Why all the fuss? make rpm works in
> 2.4 cant speak for anything >

Jack,

To clarify, 'make rpm' doesn't work for me with the Severn kernel-source
rpm. It fails in a way very similar to the way 'make rpm' fails for
developmental kernels, but those failures would be OT for this list.

Generating binary rpms from the .src.rpm file probably works in Severn (it
did in earlier versions), but that's not quite what I'm trying to do.
Ultimately I want to take the kernel-source rpm, create my own .config
file, and compile to an rpm (as opposed to the old fashioned way). The
first step to prove 'make rpm' works is to run it using an unaltered
config file:

# cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
# make mrproper
# cp configs/kernel-2.4.21-i686.config .config
# make oldconfig
.... make no changes in first pass to prove process ....
.... even so, after this step I get two different .config files:
.... -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  42103 Aug 20 13:27 .config
.... -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  46453 Aug 20 13:26 .config.old
# make dep
# make rpm

This fails with multiple errors during the compilation of the
i2c-ali1535.c SMBus South bridge driver for portables. When I change the
CONFIG_I2C_ALI1535 entry in the .config file from "=m" to "#" commented
out and repeat the process (including 'make mrproper'), 'make rpm' will
fail somewhere else.

Since this method of generating custom kernel rpms doesn't work, I would
hope Red Hat would want to know so they (or someone upstream) can fix it
before releasing RHL X.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL