Stock kernels

Maynard Kuona knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za
Wed Aug 20 22:11:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 16:56, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 10:09:31PM -0700, Ben Hsu wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 18:47, Maynard Kuona wrote:
> > > However, having made the kernel rpm, I found it does not automatically
> > > make the initrd*** file
> >
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but "make install" calls /sbin/installkernel
> > which makes initrd, right? What were the steps you did to build the
> > kernel?
>
> scripts/mkspec doesn't create a spec file with a %post or %postun
> to manage initrd automatically the way our official packages do.

That is why I had suggested this to the thread first. Because it seems
there is a lot the kernel.org kernel does not do. Please do not get me
wrong, I know how to, and have compiled the kernel. But there is enough
difference to warrant, IMO, the Redhat Linux Project to just maybe tweak
the kernel so it compiles less problematically under Redhat. Just maybe
edit the scripts, or maybe just point us to people who do this if they
are available.