RPM broken when 2.6.0 test kernel installed?

Jeff Johnson jbj at redhat.com
Thu Aug 21 14:09:55 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:00:22AM -0400, Glen Maeding wrote:
> The reason why im asking how to fix this is i cannot 'rpm -e' this kernel.  This makes it very difficult to undo the benign damage i did to my laptop heh.  Dont get me wrong, I am pleased with the kernel i have installed, but what happens when a new kernel test version comes out in rpm?  Ack...
>
> *	** Glen Maeding
> *	** MIS Tech @ Kidspeace Inc.
> *	** Webmaster of MIS-comm, Pdangel.org, and others...
> *	** E-mail: gmaeding at kidspeace.org
> *	** Pager e-mail: goik at tmail.com

Yup.

This is new-fangled O_DIRECT semantics in latest kernel, EINVAL returned
by write(2) is the clue.

Problem is fixed in rpm-4.2-1 packages (for RHL9) at
	ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/dist/rpm-4.2.x

Boot some other kernel, fix problems, boot original kernel is probably
fastest approach; otherwise, install using rpm2cpio.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj at redhat.com (jbj at jbj.org)