Minimal Install Option

James Olin Oden joden at malachi.lee.k12.nc.us
Fri Aug 22 21:28:48 UTC 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, William Hooper wrote:

> Jef Spaleta said:
> [major snip]
> > If you need to worry about having only 200Megs of Harddrive space or
> > only 4 megs of memory at this point in the game...you really should be
> > rolling yer own media sets or something other than expecting the default
> > rhl image to cater to systems limitations for which predate
> > cobol....anaconda-runtime exists for a reason.
> [ditto]
>
> At some point making your on installer makes sense.  For example, the RULE
> project (http://www.rule-project.org/en/) decided that Anaconda was too
> resource hungry, so they made their own installer, making a smaller
> "minimal" install in the process.
>
> I think the Red Hat Linux "Project" should encourage more of these type of
> things.  Heck, I would even go for the stance of removing the "minimal"
> install and pointing people to RULE instead.
Except that you can achieve quite handily a minimal install cd
using anaconda.  I do it every day.  What really needs to happen
is for someone to come up with some robust general purpose tools
for building distributions based around anaconda.  I have built such
tools but unfortunately they are not open source.  I would certainly be
willing to help with any such project, though.

Cheers...james