pam src rpm replaced?

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Aug 24 15:32:10 UTC 2003

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Michael Schwendt wrote:

>> >Concerning missing buildrequires, it would be nice if someone from Red
>> >Hat could post a short comment on how clean their build environment is
>>
>> It depends on what exactly you mean by "how clean is the build
>> environment".  That question could be interpreted in 10 different
>> ways by 10 different people.  Can you be more specific?
>
>With "clean build environment" I refer to the amount of what is
>installed without being a dependency. I mean that every -devel
>package, every tool which is needed to build a src.rpm would not be
>found unless it is a buildreq or a dependency of a package which is
>installed already. Sort of a minimal installation of Red Hat Linux
>with only rpm-build and its dependencies installed. Every additional
>package required to build a src.rpm would need to be an explicit
>BuildRequires in the src.rpm.

That sounds sensible.  If you find packages missing such
dependancies, please file them in bugzilla.

>A less clean environment would have a few core development tools
>installed always, e.g. compilers, interpreters (such a Perl) or
>related utilities (make, patch, parser generators), so that they
>don't need to be listed as buildreqs in a high number of
>src.rpms. Of course, this could also be done with a new
>development-core package, like fedora-rpmdevtools does it to
>pull in some dependencies which are considered essential for a
>build environment.

Sure.  It's nice to fix things where possible, and when someone
reports them.  It's not something we're likely to modify our
buildsystem to install the absolute minimum of software, to try
and find every last single buildrequires ourselves anally for
though IMHO.

These type of fixes are very trivial and are often things someone
will never find in real world usage, generally only via specific
testing to locate such minor bugs.

In other words, if someone makes them known, they're worth
fixing, but IMHO they're not worth us spending a lot of our own
time to track down as they don't really cause problems in general
for the majority of users.

Who knows though, maybe someone will modify the beehive buildroot
creation code to only install rpm-build and it's dependancies.
;o)