Cleaning up dependency hell

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Sun Aug 24 22:54:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Mike A. Harris wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
>
>>>One example of this is midnight commander as someone pointed out.
>>>mc requires XFree86-libs.  Someone out there might want to have
>>>mc installed on a system completely devoid of X, and will never
>>>be using mc inside X on that system.  They might not even have a
>>>mouse attached to the system.  Nonetheless, they have no choice
>>>but to install XFree86-libs and all of it's dependancies if they
>>>want to install mc.
>>>

>>I think 2 really cool things that the REALLY open development model can
>>do is help organize Bug Triage days and also help point out and fix all
>>these silly dependency chains. Maybe help rewrite spec files that create
>>truly minimal packages that do not pull in extra dependencies.
>
>That would be great.  There's a lot of things that lots of us
>would "like" to do, but never find time to prioritize ourselves
>because we're too busy with work that is much more mission
>critical or time related.  Having people volunteer to do such
>things, would be a great thing.

I did a cleanup of Bugzilla tickets between 1-15000 before 9 went gold
but got busy with other things :(. I think it would be a good idea to
have an official bug day. Maybe Red Hat could hold an informal contest
with awards of T-shirts and mugs going to people who have the best bug
reports, number of reports nad such.

Stephen John Smoogen            smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 5-8058
Ta-03 SM-261  MailStop P208 DP 17U  Los Alamos, NM 87545