AD DNS

Jon Burgess mplayer at jburgess.uklinux.net
Wed Aug 27 16:38:42 UTC 2003

stephan schutter wrote:

>>> configure everything. In windows it works fine, but in this version
>>> (I do not know about earlier versions) it does not work at all. I do
>>> nslookup to the same server using the same DNS server and get
>>> diferent results. eg. the DNS server (windows 2000)  does not reply
>>> with the same anwer if you are redhat.

Are you certain Windows is using DNS? It has a habit of also using the
domain name services (typically Wins) to do its name resolution as well.

Does the netbios cache on the Windows machine contain the machine name, try:
nbtstat -c

I'm sure there used to be a command like "nmblookup" or similar to do a
NetBios lookup on Windows, but I can't find it any more.

I believe that Linux will fail to find it unless you specifically add
the stores.<removed> domain to resolv.conf:

   search hq.<censored>.com stores.<censored>.com
   nameserver 10.89.17.84

That way it will try looking for burner.hq.<xx>.com &
burner.stores.hq.<xx>.com

	Jon