up2date and gone-panel

Adam H. Pendleton fmonkey at fmonkey.net
Thu Aug 28 11:54:58 UTC 2003

So I installed the beta yesterday, subscribed to the RHN channels (both
the beta and the rawhide channels), and ran up2date.  It downloaded a
bunch of packages, installed them, and then I restarted my system.  When
it came back up, the gnome panel was much different than it had been
before.  The RedHat logo (Main Menu) had been replaced with a folder
icon, and the menu was different.  Following a suggestion from the
archives, I deleted that menu then added the Main Menu to the panel.
Okay, but the icon size on the new menu is far different from what it
was before.  Also, the notification area and the clock were gone.  As
well, the window list (the taskbar portion of the panel) was also
missing.  I added all those things back by hand, though I can't for the
life of me find the clock that was there before.  I had heard a rumbling
in the archives about an updated gnome-panel RPM, but I haven't seen it
yet.  Will this fix these problems?

On a semi-related note, there seems to be a cyclic upgrade path for
redhat-release and rawhide-release on my system.  Right now, if I run
up2date, it lists rawhide-release (9.0.93-2) as a available update.  If
install that package, then run up2date, redhat-release is listed as an
update.  If I install that, then rawhide-release is listed again, etc. etc.

ahp