no ... *really* ... any ETA for updated beta?

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-722-7209 wacker at octothorp.org
Thu Aug 28 20:07:08 UTC 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> This brings up an important point I'd like to make to people.
> In the past, Red Hat did not announce any dates for it's
> products.  The main reason for this, was because any form of
> date, no matter how estimated or ball park, will always be
> interpreted by many people as an official promise.  When that
> date comes and goes, and for whatever reason the software isn't
> available, those people will become upset and rant and rave.
The rest snipped.

     Ya know, Mike, as a reader of this list who hasn't posted to this
thread up until now, and, has never asked when a release was going to be out
in all my time on these lists since Zoot, I personally have never minded
the questions on that topic.  What I do find pretty obnoxious is the loud
braying of the "how dare you even think of asking such a stupid and taboo
question" chorus.  Folks, how 'bout, the next time you see a question such
as, "when is the next beta or full release coming out", posted t to the
list, why don't y'all wait to see if someone from RH who is in a position
to know feels like answering the question.  If they do, then it should be
settled.  If they don't, what on earth is the good in expressing your
outrage at the fact that the question was asked in the first place?

--
Bill in Denver