autofs

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Fri Dec 19 18:29:28 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 06:32, Parrish M Myers wrote:
> With the release of autofs v4, has anyone in the fedora group
> considered adding it to the package list.
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/autofs/v4

Agreed.  I would like to see autofs v4 in FC.

> It helps out greatly when in an NFS/NIS environment when home
> directories are automounted.  As far as I can tell the 3.x version in
> the distribution right now won't/can't do this.

I have done the autofs-for-home-directories thing without any problems
(other than fat fingering a config file :-) with autofs v3.  We use
RHL9, RHEL3, FC1, SuSE, Solaris and Aurora without any difficulties.
There have been other distributions and Unix variants in there before,
as well.

I am curious to know what documentation (or whatever) indicates to you
that autofs v3 can not mount home directories?
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor