need help: fc1 for amd64

Karen Spearel kas11 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Dec 21 20:55:38 UTC 2003

Gene C. wrote:

> I assumed that some hardware such as the NIC on the MB was not going to work
> but am really surprised by the interaction with the Dell 2000FP monitor.
> Given that bad values could actually destroy a monitor (according to Mike
> Harris) does not give me warm feelings about the MB.

I guess I have had somewhat better luck with my K8V (yeah, I sprung for
the 3200+/754 pin version) with FC1.  Both the std FC1 32 bit version
and Justin's 2.4.22-1.2129.nptl for the x86_64 are running here quite
well...no monitor issues with a ATI 9000 and a MAG LCD altho Anaconda
didn't recognize it so I had to feed it H and V sync ranges.  Anaconda
did find the SATA controller that I had turned off as I have no SATA
drives which caused some nasty messages to show up in the log but did no
real harm...and removing sata_via from modules.conf cleaned up that
problem.

I never could get a FTP install to work (it insisted on putting in an
extra \ in the url that I never could get rid of) from the boot disk but
an NFS install worked perfectly once I had the directory tree on another
box.

The 3c2000 driver (source, at least) on the Asus site looks to be
nothing other than the driver for the full range of SysKonnect cards
...it includes everything but the kitchen sink but it works ok here...it
was used during the NFS install so, as I remember, the driver got
installed without any further intervention by me.

Davey Jones' 2.6.0 RPM does not run here though.  Seems to have memory
setup issues, perhaps from BIOS, as there are slab corruption errors as
far as the eye can see.  It is trying but...I've passed info along to
experts so hopefully this issue will be looked into soon.  I've heard
that it does run on a Biostar board but not sure whether it was the
K8T800 or the nForce 150 version...at any rate, those both use Award
BIOS and since the northbridge is on the CPU, memory access should be
unaffected by the chipset, so it seems that perhaps Award got things
right and AMI didn't (or at least the way the developers thought they
would be).  I'd be interested in hearing if others have gotten 2.6 on an
Athlon65/Opteron to run on AMI Bios.