new nvidia driver 53.28 fails

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Wed Dec 24 10:13:44 UTC 2003

> Indeed, XFree86-Mesa-libGL should be removed with '--nodeps'. Yes, the
> dependency game here is not so nice. I have thought the best way to go
> if Mr Harris issued an XFree86 update for Fedora or an application
> depended on the lib...  Would be to install it again go back to the 'nv'
> driver, do what you have todo, remove XFree86-Mesa-libGL again and
> re-install the binary 'nvidia' driver once more. A real pain no doubt,
> but as clean as least troublesome as it's probably gonna get. :/

What could also be done, is using a virtual package which would provide
libGL.so. How about the rpm created by this spec file :

Name: nvidia-fake-glx
Version: 1.0
Release: 1
License: GPL
Group: User Interface/X
Source0: %name.README
Buildroot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root
Buildarch: noarch
Provides: libGL.so.1 libGL.so.1.2

%description
Install this package if you used the NVidia installer to install
the drivers on your system

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%_docdir/%name-%version
install -p %{SOURCE0} $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%_docdir/%name-%version/README

%files
%defattr(644,root,root)
%_docdir/%name-%version/README

%changelog
* Mon Jun 16 2003 Aurélien Bompard <gauret at free.fr>
- initial package

Could this be a cleaner solution ?

Bye

Aurélien
http://gauret.free.fr   ---   Jabber : gauret at amessage.info

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things." -- Doug Gwyn