Performance Issues with XMMS

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Jul 23 19:14:36 UTC 2003

> It is likely anti-aliased fonts doing it. Trying to hint every character
> for the tons of text scrolling is cpu intensive. I have mentioned it to
> mharris before and he said something like the anti-alias font code isn't

It isnt the CPU that is the problem. A lot of code does compositing against
server side image data, and the X servers (except the Nvidia proprietary
one and the Vesa server) implement this in a totally screwball manner
still. The resut is a lot of ping pong bus traffic and on some chipsets
it seems to hurt the throughout of disks, latency of audio, video capture
etc.