zero for severn

Michel Alexandre Salim mas118 at york.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 02:26:36 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 06:51, Joe Smith wrote:
> Wow, several showstoppers for me in Severn:
>
> Wouldn't boot after install (just boots to grub prompt).
Ouch. Details?

> Boot floppy boots to firstboot, but mouse & keyboard are non-functional.
Boot floppy is known to be broken at the moment, according to the
Release Notes - the kernel is too large to fit, you need to boot from
the rescue CD (i.e. first install disc)

>   Ctrl-Backspace kills X; shutdown from gdm login.
>
> Next attempt, firstboot comes up, I Ctrl-Alt-F1 to text login, then CAF7
> back to firstboot, now mouse and keyboard are ok.  Complete setup and
> login through gdm.
>
> CD (IDE burner/DVD combo, which worked fine for install) is set up wrong
> and completely non-functional.  Data cd's won't mount automatically or
> manually and audio cds won't play.

I have something similar - mounting from command line works fine though.
I take it redhat-config-packages would not work for you too? Probably
the same problem.

> Should I just Bugzilla these?  I know the grub problem was in RH9,
> because I had the same thing happen.  The 'fix' was to downgrade grub to
> the rpm from RH8, and I found this discussed on the net so I wasn't
> alone.  I checked Bugzilla yesterday and found three bugs under 'grub',
> none of which were this one.  I hate to contribute more noise when
> things are known and I hate to spend my time on a bug report that's ignored.

Please do bugzilla at least the CD issue and I'll chime in.

> Severn looks nice though ;-)

That it does :)

Regards,

Michel