Feature Request

Benjamin Vander Jagt benjaminvanderjagt at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 24 22:46:14 UTC 2003

Aye!

I switched to ReiserFS, because my brother and I simply couldn't play
Quake3 or Unreal Tournament 2003 when every ten minutes, we'd get slowed
to nearly a halt while the hard drive goes nuts.

Plus, I used to get a lot of power outages.  Ext3 has, a few times, been
totally destroyed (even fsck doesn't find data) where I have *never*
lost *any* data to ReiserFS, even on two test hard drives that were
loaded with bad sectors.  When I switched to ReiserFS, I did so for the
performance, believing all the rhetoric that it wasn't as reliable as
Ext3.

It seems to me that more of the filesystem problems I've seen forum
posts about on the internet have to do with Ext3 than ReiserFS.

Of the top 10 distros in Distrowatch, only 4 do not support ReiserFS
(and several prefer ReiserFS).  Those 4 are Red Hat, Knoppix, Lycoris,
and Morphix.  Knoppix and Morphix obviously don't have a wide range of
supported FS's, because they are live CDs, and Lycoris is silly in every
other way anyway.

Respectfully speaking, Red Hat's ReiserFS information is very old.  I
believe the Kernel changelog (I think for 2.4.18, but I'm not sure)
talks about a coding error that made ReiserFS unreliable.

The problem I have is that I have extensively used ReiserFS, and unless
Anaconda supports it (such as installing over a previous installation),
then I just won't be able to use the new Red Hat without a big backup
procedure.

Anyway, I'm tipping out the door.  I'll just stop the mailing to my box,
so I can still sorta respond to the archives.

--
Benjamin Vander Jagt <benjaminvanderjagt at adelphia.net>