Reiserfs (was: feature request)

Mark Hutchinson rhce at cybersurf.com
Fri Jul 25 01:48:34 UTC 2003

Losing data on ext3 is a bit odd.

I have 50 servers running, they have all seen hard power off's.  Once all at the
same time!  I have even powered off machines while in the middle of an fsck and
never lost any daya.  I suspect that you may have had some other issues that led
to the non-recoverable data issue.

Mark

Quoting Florin Andrei <florin at sgi.com>:

> On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 16:04, Dax Kelson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 16:46, Benjamin Vander Jagt wrote:
> > > Plus, I used to get a lot of power outages.  Ext3 has, a few times,
> been
> > > totally destroyed (even fsck doesn't find data) where I have *never*
> > > lost *any* data to ReiserFS, even on two test hard drives that were
> > > loaded with bad sectors.
> >
> > This sounds wrong. Reiserfs's bad block handling is an ACKNOWLEDGED
> > problem by NameSys.
> > http://namesys.com/bad-block-handling.html
>
> I agree. Benjamin is probably speaking from his own perspective.
>
> ReiserFS is, at this moment, probably the least robust of the
> journalised filesystems on Linux.
> Of course, it's interesting feature-wise.
>
> --
> Florin Andrei
>
> "Never send a human to do a machine's job." - Agent Smith
>

> --

"Computers are like air conditioners:
They stop working properly if you open windows."