so ... how do i get a graphical boot?

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Sat Nov 1 00:30:56 UTC 2003

Once upon a time at band camp Sat, 1 Nov 2003 4:42 am, James J. Ramsey wrote:
> I just realized that there was a third option, namely
> that the init scripts changed so that the "rhgb"
> option was now necessary, when it wasn't before.
> Judging from the thread "ok, graphical boot, one more
> time" (especially the post found at
> <http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-October/msg04131.html
>>), that is exactly what has happened.
>
> That means that the way to fix this buggy behavior in
> the final release is to have Anaconda add "rhgb" to
> grub.conf on install.

Have you read the release notes for the new release?

<Quote>

Fedora Core 1 now uses a graphical interface while booting. The graphical boot
screen will appear once the kernel has loaded. Graphical booting is
controlled by the GRAPHICAL line in the /etc/sysconfig/init file; set it to
"no" to permanently disable graphical booting. In addition, the parameter
rhgb must be appended to your bootloader command line.

Systems that have been upgraded to Fedora Core 1 will not be configured to
include the graphical boot feature. You must install the rhgb package, and
add the rhgb boot-time parameter to your bootloader configuration.

</Quote>

new installs will have it turned on upgrades will need to be configured

Dennis