RHEL 3.0 or Fedora for a 'production environment' ?

Oscar A. Valdez oscar.valdez at plastipak.com.sv
Sat Nov 1 16:13:04 UTC 2003

I've been trying to digest the bifurcation of Red Hat Linux into two
different releases. For personal and home use, Fedora is the logical
choice. But for my 50 servers and desktops at work, I have allowed
myself to be victimized by FUD (ie, Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).

I've followed discussions on rebuilding a distribution from RHEL 3.0
source RPMs (see http://www.mail-archive.com/rhel-rebuild-l@uibk.ac.at
or http://caosity.org/pipermail/caos), and they are riddled with doubts
about the legality of doing so.

And then: "Red Hat Enterprise Linux creates a reliable, secure, high
performance platform designed for today's commercial environments--with
capabilities that match or surpass those of proprietary operating
systems."

Does this statement from Red Hat mean that I can't get the same from
Fedora? I don't think so. As long as Fedora provides stable, compatible
packages, bug and security fixes and upgrades, I think I can live with
it in my 'production environment'

Anyone care to comment?
--
Oscar A. Valdez