RHEL 3.0 or Fedora for a 'production environment' ?

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Sat Nov 1 18:16:32 UTC 2003

Ben Steeves wrote:

>On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 13:08, shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:
>

>>Oscar A. Valdez wrote:
>>

>>>Does this statement from Red Hat mean that I can't get the same from
>>>Fedora? I don't think so. As long as Fedora provides stable, compatible
>>>packages,
>>>

>>>bug and security fixes

http://redhat.com/apps/support/errata/
see especially the end of life dates

>>> and upgrades, I think I can live with
>>>it in my 'production environment'
>>>
>>>Anyone care to comment?
>>>

>>http://fedora.redhat.com/about/rhel.html
>>

>>you will update 1 or 2 times per year all your 50 servers/workstations
>>in a production environment without redhat-support ??
>>
>>good luck.
>>

>Why not?  Many companies are already running RH7/8/9 without support.
>If it worked for them them, it will continue to do so, I should think.
>For companies with sufficient available Linux/RedHat knowledge, I don't
>see the bifurcation of the distribution to be a major issue.

take a calculator and take the time you will need in the future  for
security-udates/bugfixes.
we are talking about "production-environment" ?

>your local Linux
>gurus were providing support for you, then Fedora should be sufficient
>for your production environment.

they will provide you bugfixes, security-updates, ...
for all your fedora-core-1, fedora-core-2, fedora-core-3, fedora-core-4, ...

--
shrek-m