RHEL 3.0 or Fedora for a 'production environment' ?

Paul Jakma paul at dishone.st
Sun Nov 2 05:40:23 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Res wrote:

> And this is why I know of a few data centers already considering
> the move to slackware for all new boxes and gradual replacements
> over time, I think RH have lost a lot of friends with this move,
> the days of RH populating data centers are gone, with a support of
> only a few months fedora will never see its way in there,

Why should RedHat care if they have lost the data centre's you've
described above? Obviously these were not using paid-for 'supported'
RedHat Linux. I doubt RedHat are going to lose /too/ much sleep about
losing non-paying 'customers'. :)

For people who use 'supported' RH Linux or RHEL, life will go on as
usual - they'll get multi-year supported distributions.

> can you imagine a center with hundreds and hundreds of boxes runing
> around replaceing it every 3 months?

Backport the security updates (most likely == rebuild the src rpm in
most cases). QA updates to see how well they go, and update as
neccessary. I'm guessing the security updates backporting will give
you at least a year, if not more, before dependencies start biting,
and upgrading these days is a doddle with apt.

alternatively, pay redhat and get a long-term supported distro, ie
RHEL :)

> I cant, some of our servers are still running 7.3, cause we knew RH
> will put out errata if its seriou enough, general updates who
> cares, get the tarball, looks like thats how we'll be updateing
> untill we decide which way to go, update by tarballs in future, or
> move onto slackware or suse. Time will tell...

Or try debian.. it seems to work on about a 2 year cycle, which is
what you want it seems. (or pay redhat! you cant blame them for
trying to make money!).

regards,
	warning: do not ever send email to spam at dishone.st
Fortune:
Luck, that's when preparation and opportunity meet.
		-- P.E. Trudeau