RHEL 3.0 or Fedora for a 'production environment' ?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Nov 3 18:45:49 UTC 2003

> And this is why I know of a few data centers already considering the move
> to slackware for all new boxes and gradual replacements over time, I
> think RH have lost a lot of friends with this move, the days of RH

When you try maintaining software for years to the standards Red Hat
does it turns out to be quite costly. Some people will choose to take
that cost themselves, others may choose to buy RH or other business oriented
products.

> populating data centers are gone, with a support of only a few months
> fedora will never see its way in there, can you imagine a center with
> hundreds and hundreds of boxes runing around replaceing it every 3
> months?

Fedora is aimed at developers - people who contribute and want cool stuff
rather than people who simply want the cheapest possible business deal
without regard to quality. There is always a market it isnt worth addressing
 - the people who won't even pay the cost of the service they provide.

> I cant, some of our servers are still running 7.3, cause we knew RH will
> put out errata if its seriou enough, general updates who cares, get the
> tarball, looks like thats how we'll be updateing untill we decide which
> way to go, update by tarballs in future, or move onto slackware or suse.

Your right, and if the business economics work for you then nobody would
expect you to do anything different.

Alan