Status of bug (rfe?) 107834

Mikko Paananen mikko at ipi.fi
Mon Nov 3 19:10:42 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 20:11, Peter Boy wrote:
> There are still some probs due to the system wide usage of uft8. One of
> them is addressed in bug 107834 regarding characters above ascii 128 in
> Filenames (e.g. samba shares with windows clients).

Still same problem with latest kernel from rawhide (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl).

You have to manually edit /etc/fstab and add iocharset=utf8 for vfat,
ntfs, jfs or joliet cdroms.

Note that smbfs also needs setting codepage=cp850 (or equal
CONFIG_SMB_NLS_DEFAULT in kernel) to get all letters right.

Also, that does not fix Nautilus that still shows wrong letters on
smb-shares, since it has other bugs. See #106733.

> Similar problems arise, if you use evolution to exchange mail with a
> windows user and even with a linux guy not using Red Hat. Characters
> above ascii 128 look "silly" and are unreadable.

Evolution has setting to send mail with iso-8859-1/15.
Tools->Settings->Mail pref.->Default character encoding. This is not so
big issue with since all modern mailreaders handle mime-headers, even
outlook.

> Of course, you can change the system default in /etc/sysconfig/i18n to
> use another locale.

Many still do, since utf-8 doesn't work reliably enough from
out-of-the-box. (Ever tried nano on UTF-8 system? bug: #101856)

Especially I've seen many people complain about corrupted letters on
windows drives.