Delay? Looks bad for Fedora

Ali-Reza Anghaie ali at packetknife.com
Mon Nov 3 22:41:10 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 09:57, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> What is the delay due to on the release?
> I do not understand what this means: Delayed due to respin for several days,
> will be available as soon as possible.....

Would you rather they released it as-is and without ~some~ comfort
level?

> This is not a good sign for those waiting to see if fedora will still be a
> professional distro.

Odd. At Fedora.redhat.com I don't see any statement indicating Fedora is
targeted at the professional user and enterprise.

> How many of you that are currently running RH up to version 9 on many servers
> are now planning to move away from RedHat?  I would certainly prefer not to,
> but fedora does not seem like a solid bet.  I pay for RH subscritions and have
> 9 installed on about 60-70 servers, and have purchased the box sets before,
> but I dont like the way Fedora popped up.  Are others going to keep Fedora on
> thier servers?

It seems rather short-sighted to jump ship without waiting to see how
Fedora develops over a release or two. Or calling RH and asking what
60/70 seats of RHEL would run. Or waiting for the projects that will
build/bundle their own RHEL-based-clone w/o any of the (c) or license
infractions.

But go ahead... jump... you've got plenty of options. Install them all.

> The move to fedora was a mistake for RedHat.  I understand why they did it,
> but they went too far and discarded loyal users ( some paying some not.
> Perhaps still including a box set would have been a good idea.  Although
> looking through the mailing list, is Fedora up to the task of running on a
> server anymore?  I am not sure.

You don't have to be sure. If you want to be sure, buy RHEL with support
licenses, then you can be sure RH will be there for you for the agreed
time frame. And if they're not, scream at them, hold payment,
whatever...

Just sit back, relax, and wait for the ride. You have until April before
RHL 9 is EOLed, which gives you some time to watch how Fedora goes,
negotiate RHEL licenses, look at clones, etc. etc. etc.

Cheers, -Ali

--
OpenPGP Key: 030E44E6