Fedora and Rawhide

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 4 02:35:59 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 18:22, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Oscar A. Valdez wrote:
>
> >In the future, will Rawhide be "compatible" with current Fedora
> >releases?
>
> Simple answer:  No.
>
> Longer answer:  Rawhide is a public snapshot of the constantly
> moving and changing internal software builds at Red Hat of what
> will eventually become the next OS release.  It has always been
> this, and current plans are to continue this.  At some point in
> time changes will start getting into the tree which are no doubt
> incompatible with Fedora Core 1.  That will be very intentional.
> Not intentional in the sense of "break compatibility" but
> intentional as in "proceed with development".  Some of these
> incompatibilities of course will be temporary and randomly coming
> and going, whereas others will be permanent due to new technology
> inclusion, packaging incompatibilities and many other factors.
>
> Of course, wherever possible, we try to avoid unnecessary
> incompatibilites, but that isn't always possible either.

During Fedora Test, rawhide has been used in a slightly new fashion to
provide updates for testing via a channel in up2date.  This has probably
created an anticipation that updates will continue to be supplied in
this way.  What do we switch to for update channels once Fedora Core 1
is released?

I will probably answer the question myself by noting that the most
recent updates have changed the up2date channel designation to two
channels called "fedora-core-1" and "updates-released."  Will these
channels now have a distinct set of updates different from rawhide?

Thanks.

Gerry