Concerns about RedHat's email

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 4 04:38:29 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 22:13, Maxwell Kanat-Alexander wrote:
> 	There have been about three people tonight who have come into #fedora
> concerned about an email they got from RedHat.
>
> 	They have _all_ believed that up2date will no longer work in Fedora and
> that Fedora Core 1 (a) is unstable and (b) has fewer packages than
> RedHat 9.
>
> 	Perhaps some clarification is in order?

I got an e-mail also, but came to different conclusions.

Up2date will certainly still work, but it's relationship to Red Hat
Network may not be the same.  I'm also confused whether an RHN
subscription is of any use with Fedora, but have an e-mail off to Red
Hat to clarify that since they seem to have automatically renewed my
subscription and charged my credit card enabling the entitlement for
another year.

I don't know where the "fewer packages" idea came from.  It could be
that an initial install of Fedora Core might have fewer packages, but
from everything I've seen, there should be _more_ packages available
when the total integration of all the Fedora parts is achieved.  I
expect the base OS to have the same packages available as Red Hat Linux
9 except for the few that are dropped (some replaced by new ones) as
detailed in the Fedora Release Notes available in rawhide.  Some
packages may have to be installed via up2date if they aren't selected by
choices in Anaconda during install, but that should be very straight
forward.

The concerned people should take a close look at www.fedora.redhat.com.

Gerry