Seawolf -> Fedora?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Nov 4 08:13:55 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 19:44, Kevin Weslowski wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> my apologies if I sound like a newbie...I just came from the RH 7.1 Seawolf mailing list.  I found out today that my 7.1 and, I guess, all RHL is being discontinued and split into Enterprise and Fedora...so here I am...a little flustered, but here.
>
> Just a couple questions I have for this group...I am on a demo subscription for RHN for RH 7.1
> Does Fedora maintain errata/updates in the same way (i.e. using up2date)? Do I keep my RHN subscription?
> The docs I've read haven't really been too clear about this...
> How different will using Fedora be from RH 7.1, from a server point of view?

up2date can now point to any official or 3rd party mirror that contains
up2date, yum, or apt headers.  You can optionally use yum or apt for
package management.  All mirrors that maintain themselves often will
contain security updates during the release period.

So the only real change is that you should probably manually find a fast
fedora mirror near you and configure your up2date settings accordingly.
This has the benefit that you never need to fill out the demo
questionnaire form anymore.  This also reduces the bandwidth burden on
Red Hat, so all the freebie users no longer cost them money.

(Wouldn't you rather see money go into engineering? =)

Red Hat will officially supply security errata for a release for only
around 8-10 months now.  In response to this, the community is starting
an external repository called "Fedora Legacy" where you can set your
up2date/apt/yum client to download security updates in the future.

Fedora Legacy will use the same package submission and QA standards as
the regular Fedora Core and Fedora Extras, except it will be on servers
external to Red Hat.  PogoLinux.com is donating a large amount of server
hardware to run the Legacy project, and several smaller companies,
Universities and individuals are teaming up in order to pool their
skills into maintaining security updates for older distributions.
Fedora Legacy will begin with RH7.3 as early as December, in order to be
prepared for RH7.3 EOL.

Warren