Questioning RH's decisions to remain a viable and independent company?

Martin Sturm martin at wolkje.net
Tue Nov 4 15:39:53 UTC 2003

Op di 04-11-2003, om 16:00 schreef Albert DE WINT:
> Op di 04-11-2003, om 15:13 schreef Marc Schwartz:
> > Novell Announces Agreement to Acquire Leading Enterprise Linux
> > Technology Company SUSE LINUX
> >
> > http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/11/pr03069.html
> >
> > Keep in mind that this follows Novell's acquisition of Ximian....The
> > consolidation of the commercially viable Linux market continues....
> >
> > Any care to speculate on who will acquire Mandrake and when?
>
> You have a point. Given the financial situation of Mandrake, I suppose
> they must be dying to sell.
>
> Maybe, one day some Linux distro will be accused of creating a monopoly
> ;-)
>
> (Déjà vu?)

I prefer a Linux distribution owning a monopoly on the operation system
market over Microsoft. A Linux-distro, at least most parts of it, are
fully open-source, so it is easy to use an alternative-distro or
operation system because standards, fileformats etc. are open.

More interesting: Will Ximian still be available for Red Hat base
operating systems? Ximian Desktop was already available for SuSE, but i
can imagen that Ximian will stop supporting Red Hat.

Martin