[Fwd: RH9 --> Fedora]

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Tue Nov 4 16:10:11 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 10:24, Alex F. Evonosky wrote:
> As I am a new list member on this list, I apologize if this question
> has been asked.  How is the upgrade to Fedora been using RH9?  Was the
> upgrade pretty seamless or did it requite a full reformat and
> re-install?  As a long follower of RH since '95, this is a question I
> was trying to understand.

Firstly, realize that Fedora Core 1 has not yet officially been
released; only the test versions have circulated at this point, although
it seems likely that people running test3 with all the newest updates
are pretty close (if not identical) to the final version of Fedora Core
1. Secondly, realize that you're asking on the "fedora-test-list," where
people are doing bug stomping. You might be better off holding off a few
weeks instead of chomping at the bit, and asking at the more
generally-oriented "fedora-list," to gauge reactions after the official
release has had time to touch down.

Having said all that, I upgraded several boxes from Red Hat 9 to Fedora
Core test1 (and then updated all the way through test3 to present day)
with no installation/upgrade related problems. As did many other people,
I encountered various bugs during the intervening weeks, which seem to
have been completely stomped, or almost so. It's currently as stable as
it gets. My main home machine is now on FC and seems to have zero
problems. YMMV.

I know that a lot of users out there seem to always want the latest and
greatest installed, regardless of the merits of doing so. However, it's
usually in your best interest to let the dust settle somewhat, and do
your reading, unless you're fearless or an expert. And in either of
those cases you probably wouldn't be asking us, right? ;-)

Cheers, have fun!
--
Paul W. Frields <paul at frields.com>