Delay? Looks bad for Fedora

Randy Vice damocles at thenostromo.com
Tue Nov 4 18:33:28 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 09:23, Randy Vice wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > > So I don't think RedHat is wicked --
> > > I just think they may have made a commercial mistake.
> >
> > Agreed, and poor timing as well now that Novell/Ximian is buying out SuSE.
> > I'll DL Fedora when it's released, but I'm keeping a sharp on Novell's
> > Linux distro, they may be wanting to pick up those of us who don't fit in
> > RH's new scheme.  Guess the next six months will be an interesting time to
> > see where the chips fall.
> >
> > Randy
>

> I don't see this as being bad timing at all. Actually quite the
> opposite, which is why I posted the Novell/SUSE release in the first
> place. The writing is on the wall regarding the major commercial
> distros, which is why Mandrake will be next.
>
> The commercial vendors must focus their core business model where there
> is revenue to be generated. No, not for the shareholders, but *most*
> importantly for their employees who depend upon the commercial vendors
> for regular paychecks that don't bounce. If you lose your employees, you
> can forget about the customers AND the shareholders...there won't be
> anything left to have equity in.

Question is, now that RH has "dumped" me, should I trust them a second
time with RHE or go with Novell/SuSE for enterpise level support for my
home server?  Or will Fedora support be enough for my taste?  Guess time
will tell.

<snip>

Randy

--
: damocles at TheNostromo.com : Bruce Morrow, a man before and after his time :
: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood  :