RH recommends using Windows?

James McDermott jmcdermo at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 18:44:48 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 13:18, Noah Silva [Mailing list] wrote:
> The amusing thing here is that a lot of consumer hardware does just work.
> My radeon card just works in 3D mode with Redhat.  TWO wireless cards I
> have tried worked fine with redhat, using "redhat-config-network" to set
> them up.  My HP and epson printers just work, along with my CD writer, my
> sound card, and my SCSI card and scanner.

Exactly. I haven't run into problems on decent hardware in a long time.
Some of the major manufacturers have taken this approach and basically
use whiteboxes with seperate components for their internals.

If all else fails though, you dont want to build a box, and you dont
want to research hardware... and you dont want to spend much... go to
walmart.com and order a linux or no-os pc:) If you can spend a few bucks
more, check out the other major manufacturers for Redhat OS boxen.

> I know enough people, I get to plug stuff in and see before I buy it.
> Otherwise, you go trudging through disorganized sites on the internet
> (with the exception of linuxprinting.org, very nice), so see what is
> supported and what isn't.

Sounds like a nice database of compatible hardware would be nice. The
hardware test scripts are open and available for download from
hardware.redhat.com.