RH recommends using Windows?

Mike Lurk mike.lurk at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 4 20:13:29 UTC 2003

Message: 12
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:22:38 -0500 (EST)
To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: RH recommends using Windows?

> It is harder to do in Linux because there are too many file formats to
> consider; *.bin, *.tar.gz, *.rpm and there are others as well. How do
> you incorporate them into an Add and Remove Program style of format.
The
> average user will need that.

This is unfair.  Window's "Add/remove programs" only works if windows
"knows" about the program because it at least semi-properly used MSI.

Likewise, linux only "knows" about a program being installed if you used
an rpm or deb.  If you just plop down EXE files in windows, they won't
"add/remove" any more than they will in linux.

.tar.gz should really only be for developers.  At the very least, if you
are going to make a different install system (like loki installer), it
should have a way to communicate with the RPM database as well.

> If all Linux was meant to do was to do emails, message someone, or to
> write an essay it's great for the home user. It's stable, it won't
crash
> in the middle of something important and you really don't have to
worry
> that much about viruses.
>
> (there, my .02 cents worth)

  -- noah silva

Don't get me wrong I love Linux. I enjoy working with it. Just the
average user.........

One other thing a friend of mine tried it once and said why do I have to
switch to root, or give the root password  when I install something.
Windows is seamless. Then just gave up on Linux.... What do you do?????

And Don't get me started with Mac's. In the early years of the Mac there
was one problem if you didn't have the hardware to match the OS forget
it, it just won't install, and where did, if the cmos battery was dead
the OS wouldn't boot come from. Boy did they have a big problem there.

If I had a choice between, Windows, Mac OS X and Linux it would be Linux
all the way, because I know it and enjoy playing with it. Sure it's free
to download (plus who wants to pay for MS lawsuits anyways, which is
incorporated into the cost of MS products, they are not going to admit
it but you know.. If MS wants to release buggy OS's that's up to them,
right).

( I guess I have more than .02 cent worth there)

Mike (Red Hat (FEDORA) Linux advocate)