[O/T] raptor 10000rpm ide disks

Torrey Hoffman thoffman at arnor.net
Tue Nov 4 20:26:30 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 10:43, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 November 2003 01:30 pm, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 17:49, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> > > I just got a pair of WD raptor disks, which are SATA 10000rpm.  Sweet,
> > > right? No!  They are connected to Asus A7N8X MB, which has SiI3112 Serial
> > > ATA (according to dmesg).
> >
> > [...]
> >

> Yes,  I apoligize for the O/T post (that's why I said it was O/T), but it
> really isn't entirely O/T - because you answered my real question, which is
> whether I should try fedora to see if it fixes the problem.  Thanks.

Yes (just to chime in here)  -- I've also got two of the WD raptor
disks, and am running Fedora.  But mine are hooked up to an ABit MAX3
motherboard, using the Intel 875 chipset as the controller.

In a software RAID 0 config they are very very fast :-)

IIRC, better support for the Silicon Image SATA controller was very
recently added to the 2.6.0-test kernels, so if you're having trouble
with the SI controller, try upgrading to 2.6.0-test9.

(My experiences with 2.6 recently have been very positive.)

--
Torrey Hoffman <thoffman at arnor.net>