[OT] Novell to Aquire SUSE

Tue Nov 4 21:09:25 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, jdow wrote:

> And I am about to jump ship for debian. I can't run a home office firewall
> on something that is in perpetual alpha state, fedora. And I cannot afford

I don' think a fedora core release is considered to be "alpha".  It may be
less tested than debian stable, but then debian stable is always pretty
old, so the latest fedora core may well be newer.

> the idiot prices or compile times for the Red Hat releases. I don't blame
> your UG friends bailing. It's good sense.

I have several servers, and use Redhat on some, debian on some.  Both have
advantages/disadvantages.  The main advantage to debian was apt.  Now with
Redhat supporting Yum, I think that advantage will slowly evaporate as
fedora gets more and more packages.  Another advantages is that debian
releases are supported for bug fixes until the end of time.  Even if
redhat officially doesn't support Fedora, I would hope that if 3 years
from now, some huge apache vulnerability is found, someone will backport
the fix to FC1, and it will be available via yum.

than again, for a home office firewall.. I would be running.. pretty much
just a kernel, preferably a fairly old, tested one.

 -- noah silva Xy