[OT] Novell to Aquire SUSE

Jack Aboutboul jaboutboul at speakeasy.net
Tue Nov 4 21:46:29 UTC 2003

On Nov 4, 2003, at 14:17, Gord Busse wrote:

> Someone had mentioned something on this list earlier about Novell. Well
> I just happened across this press release. Apparently Novell it taking
> Linux VERY seriously.
>
> http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/11/pr03069.html

	Well, back to the original topic of this thread.  Novell is definitely
trying to regroup and ascend up the ladder like they once did.  They
just needed a viable platform and chose linux.  Their new focus is
certainly to target the corporate desktop and hence, they made a wise
move by acquiring Ximian. Now I'm gonna go ahead and guess that Novell
needed a quality distro to base their desktop stuff on and hence chose
SuSe.
	I'm fairly certain that the SuSe idea was miguel's brainchild, being
that Novell wouldnt be able to buyout RH and many ximian hackers are
fond of SuSe.
	The recent action going down seems to be signifying the rise of the
tech markets again. I think Fedora has spawned this whole chain of
linux related happenings. I also think that SuSe was hoping that this
news would come out after FC1 so that they could steal the press
thunder away from RH but it looks like this 'respin' has done more good
than originally intended.

Thoughts?
Jack