RH recommends using Windows?

Maynard Kuona knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za
Tue Nov 4 21:55:12 UTC 2003

Noah Silva [Mailing list] wrote:

>>It is harder to do in Linux because there are too many file formats to
>>consider; *.bin, *.tar.gz, *.rpm and there are others as well. How do
>>you incorporate them into an Add and Remove Program style of format. The
>>average user will need that.
>>

>This is unfair.  Window's "Add/remove programs" only works if windows
>"knows" about the program because it at least semi-properly used MSI.
>
>Likewise, linux only "knows" about a program being installed if you used
>an rpm or deb.  If you just plop down EXE files in windows, they won't
>"add/remove" any more than they will in linux.
>
>.tar.gz should really only be for developers.  At the very least, if you
>are going to make a different install system (like loki installer), it
>should have a way to communicate with the RPM database as well.
>

>>If all Linux was meant to do was to do emails, message someone, or to
>>write an essay it's great for the home user. It's stable, it won't crash
>>in the middle of something important and you really don't have to worry
>>that much about viruses.
>>
>>(there, my .02 cents worth)
>>

>  -- noah silva
>

>--

I think another package management paradigm is needed for apps which is
slightly different from that for system libraries. You see, there is
stuff I expect to see in the Fedora repository, for which rpm, yum, apt
etc are good. This because I can always exect them to be there. However,
stuf like mplayer for example, is not going to be there, or is going to
be in a third party repository. Most of the time, I think these program
have no business being built dynamically linked. do it statically if
there is a good chance the libraries it needs are not going to be on the
system. before apt, it was really a hassle to download an rpm for
mplayer, only to discover you need xvidcore for example, and then you
need lirc, and you also need alsa libs or whatever the packager decided
he needed. iTunes for windows, for example, just plain comes with
quicktime, the whole shebang. with Linux this would be rpm -Uvh itunes.

then an error message like - quicktime not found. Check that blah blah
blah is in the path blah blah blah.

Just let us download the bigger file, its ok.

Want a different ftp server. No need to have to downoad the tarballs. I
am sorry, but the smaller distros are going to have a hard time because
soon, people are going to realise that there is a critical mass at which
you will become a preferred target platform for app vendors. At the end
of the day, I could not recommend Linux to someone who will want to
install that codec because it ususaly entails some RTFM, and some man
whatever, and editing some config file, and recompiling with the correct
options. I think delivery of apps really has to be worked on.